Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Jalapeno Pepper Jelly



My dear friend Jamie recently gave me a little bottle of canned goodness that I just had to share with all of you! She and a friend of hers recently canned a batch of jalapeno jelly. I may be the minority here, but I had never even heard of it, and I am not going to lie, when she handed me the bottle I was a bit apprehensive. However, she sent me on my way equipped with the cute little bottle full of its delicious green contents, a sleeve of ritz crackers, and a package of cream cheese, so I figured it was worth a shot.

I took the concoction to a family bbq, and I am not exaggerating when I say it was the hit of the party. Everybody LOVED it. So I begged Jamie for the recipe and she graciously sent it over. So here it is, be brave, trust me, you'll love it!


Jalapeno Pepper Jelly

3 Green bell peppers
2 (4 oz.) cans diced jalapeno peppers or
1 cup fresh jalapeno peppers
1 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
6 1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1 box liquid pectin

Chop pepper ( blend in a food processor works best )
Combine with vinegar, sugar and cayenne in pot.
Stir until boiling.
Stir in pectin, boil 5 min. longer. Skim off foam.
Ladle into prepared jars. Process in boiling water
canner for 5 min.

5 comments:

JLR said...

I'm so glad everyone like it. I forgot to tell you... it the batch that I gave you I didn't put the cayenne pepper in. As soon as the peppers are grown... you'll have to come do some jelly with me... its quite fun!

Extrem4 said...

Thanks so much for this recipe; it's yummy yummy. The batch I made, though, is really runny -- is this how yours is too? --thanks, heidi

~deidre said...

instead of green peppers I used Red peppers and it made such a wonderful red jelly .. such great flavor !! LOVE IT!! thank you

Shandra said...

I just received this same thing for Christmas and our family loved it! I am new to your blog, but am excited about what your blog has to offer. I also have a food storage blog that I would love to share (do a link swap with you) with your readers. My blog is www.myfoodstoragedeals.blogspot.com I would love to hear your thoughts of how we can help each others blogs grow (our blog is also ranked a 3/10 with Google).

Love to hear from you!

Shandra
Shandra@dealstomeals.com

Dianne said...

I was like you, I couldn't believe that Jalapeno jelly could be good, my friend took it to Grand Caymens on our trip... It was a big hit for the whole trip, and now thanks to you, I will try making it! Dianne